Several travel restrictions will be in place on eastbound and westbound Interstate 76 (Schuylkill Expressway) in Center City Philadelphia for construction on the viaduct between the 30th Street and University Avenue interchanges and the viaduct carrying Schuylkill Avenue over the expressway between Walnut Street and Market Street, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.
Weather permitting, the work schedule is:
- Monday, June 10, through Friday, June 14, from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM, westbound I-76 will be reduced to a single lane, then closed completely each night from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM between the South Street and Interstate 676 interchanges for repair and repainting of the steel on the overhead viaduct. During the closure, motorists will be directed to use the ramp from westbound I-76 to 30th Street, then follow Schuylkill Avenue to the ramp to westbound I-76 at Market Street;
- Monday, June 10, through Friday, June 14, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM, eastbound I-76 will be reduced to a single lane between the 30th Street and University Avenue interchanges for repairs to the expansion dams and drainage system;
- Monday, June 10, through Friday, June 14, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM, westbound I-76 will be reduced to a single lane between the University Avenue and 30th Street interchanges for repairs to the drainage system; and
- Monday, June 10, through Friday, June 14, from 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM, the approach to the ramp from westbound I-76 to 30th Street will be shortened for pipe work.
- In addition, the Walnut Street ramp to eastbound I-76 at the 30th Street Interchange, closed since May 20 for structural repairs and resurfacing and originally scheduled to reopen on Friday, June 14, will remain closed until Monday, June 17 due to delays caused by the weather.
Motorists normally using the ramp are detoured west on Walnut Street, left on 38th Street to University Avenue, and then south on 34th Street to access the ramp to eastbound I-76. Drivers are advised to use an alternate route or allow extra time when traveling through the work areas because significant backups and delays will occur.
PennDOT is repairing and resurfacing the I-76 viaduct under a $39.8 million contract that also includes repairs to the three-span I-76 structure over Route 23 (Conshohocken State Road) in West Conshohocken, just east of the Interstate 476/Conshohocken Interchange in Montgomery County. More information is available at www.I76viaduct.com.
Repairs to the Schuylkill Avenue viaduct are part of PennDOT’s $103.6 million project to rehabilitate the Chestnut Street bridge over the Schuylkill River — which is scheduled to close for one year beginning in mid-June — and eight other nearby structures, including those carrying Schuylkill Avenue over I-76 between Walnut Street and Chestnut Street, and between Chestnut Street and Market Street. More information is available at www.chestnutstreetbridges.